News for 'MCOCA Judge Y D Shinde'

5 judges, 2 agencies: The long road to Malegaon blast verdict

5 judges, 2 agencies: The long road to Malegaon blast verdict

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

The 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, spanning nearly 17 years, was marked by changes in investigating agencies and five different judges, contributing to significant delays, according to victims and accused.

How ATS Messed Up 7/11 Case

How ATS Messed Up 7/11 Case

Rediff.com22 Jul 2025

The investigation for 7/11 blast in which 189 people died was under question mark from the very first month after the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad started arresting the accused from different parts of city. Within 10 days of blast by July 22, 2006, ATS arrested all the 13 terror accused in the case under the leadership of ATS chief, K P Raghuvanshi.

MCOCA applicable to Malegaon blast case: Court

MCOCA applicable to Malegaon blast case: Court

Rediff.com22 Jan 2009

A special court on Thursday said the application of provisions of the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act in the Malegaon blast case by the Maharashtra police was valid.After perusing the chargesheet, special MCOCA judge Y D Shinde said prima facie there was evidence to invoke MCOCA in the case.The over 4,000-page chargesheet had been filed by the ATS against 14 accused in the case charging them under MCOCA.

ATS has no evidence against me, says Purohit

ATS has no evidence against me, says Purohit

Rediff.com6 Dec 2008

Terming the invocation of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against them as inappropriate, Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit and Abhinav Bharat treasurer Ajay Rahirkar, both accused in the September 29 Malegaon blast case, on Saturday moved the special MCOCA court seeking bail.Purohit and Rahirkar, in their bail applications, claimed that the Anti-Terrorism Squad had no evidence linking them to the blast and that they have nothing to do with the case.

MCOCA charge against Malegaon case accused dropped

MCOCA charge against Malegaon case accused dropped

Rediff.com31 Jul 2009

Designated Judge Y B Shinde, presiding over the special court, said none of the accused had more than one chargesheet filed against him or her for invoking provisions of MCOCA.

Sadhvi alleges she is served non-veg food in jail

Sadhvi alleges she is served non-veg food in jail

Rediff.com3 Mar 2009

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, one of the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, on Tuesday approached the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court seeking home food alleging that she is being served non-vegetarian food in the prison.

Chhota Rajan's wife, 3 others held for extortion

Chhota Rajan's wife, 3 others held for extortion

Rediff.com15 Dec 2005

They were remanded in police custody till December 27 by MCOCA Judge Ashok Bhangale later in the afternoon.

Charges filed against 11 accused of Malegaon blast

Charges filed against 11 accused of Malegaon blast

Rediff.com20 Jan 2009

The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad on Tuesday filed a charge sheet against 11 people, including a serving army official and a sadhvi, for the 2007 Malegaon blasts, which killed seven people. Special MCOCA Judge Y D Shinde granted permission to the ATS to file the charge sheet, which was over 4,000 pages, against all the eleven accused.

7/11 Mumbai train blasts: 5 get death; 7 sentenced to life

7/11 Mumbai train blasts: 5 get death; 7 sentenced to life

Rediff.com30 Sep 2015

Pronouncing the verdict, the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court judge Yatin Shinde sentenced to death Faisal Sheikh, Asif Khan, Kamal Ansari, Ehtesham Sidduqui and Naveed Khan who planted the bombs in various trains.

2006 Mumbai train blasts case: Court likely to give verdict on Fri

2006 Mumbai train blasts case: Court likely to give verdict on Fri

Rediff.com10 Sep 2015

Nine years after seven RDX bombs kept in Mumbai suburban trains exploded killing 188 people, a Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court is likely to pronounce its verdict on Friday.

J Dey murder case: Charges framed against Chhota Rajan

J Dey murder case: Charges framed against Chhota Rajan

Rediff.com31 Aug 2016

"The court has framed charges under MCOCA against Rajan and he has pleaded innocence," said a Central Bureau of Investigation official.

REWIND: 11 minutes, 7 bombs and a 9-year trial

REWIND: 11 minutes, 7 bombs and a 9-year trial

Rediff.com30 Sep 2015

A Special MCOCA court has convicted 12 of the 13 accused in the July 11, 2006 Mumbai suburban train bombings in which 188 people were killed.

7 years on, trial in Mumbai train blasts puffs along on slow track

7 years on, trial in Mumbai train blasts puffs along on slow track

Rediff.com11 Jul 2013

Seven years after the Mumbai serial train blasts in which nearly 200 people were killed and over 700 injured, the trial in the case is still going on with the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court recording the statements of the accused. "The court is now recording the statement of the accused who wanted to depose as a defence witness in the case," said advocate Sherif Sheikh, appearing for some of the accused in the case

How the ATS goofed up the Malegaon blast probe

How the ATS goofed up the Malegaon blast probe

Rediff.com3 Aug 2009

The Anti-Terrorist Squad of the Mumbai police suffered a major setback last week, when charges under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against Sadhvi Pragya Singh, Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit and nine other accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, were dropped by the special court's designated Judge Y B Shinde.Dropping MCOCA charges against the prime accused in the Malegaon blast case has definitely made the prosecution's task tougher.

Sentencing in 7/11 case on Sept 30, prosecution asks for death

Sentencing in 7/11 case on Sept 30, prosecution asks for death

Rediff.com23 Sep 2015

"Considering their role, eight convicts deserve death penalty," the prosecution told the court.

Chhota Rajan, 8 others get life in jail for 'cold-blooded' killing of J Dey

Chhota Rajan, 8 others get life in jail for 'cold-blooded' killing of J Dey

Rediff.com2 May 2018

Vora and Paulson Joseph were acquitted due to lack of evidence.

12 convicted for 7/11 train blasts in Mumbai, 1 acquitted

12 convicted for 7/11 train blasts in Mumbai, 1 acquitted

Rediff.com11 Sep 2015

The case took a twist when the defence lawyer sought to call Indian Mujahideen co-founder Sadiq Sheikh as a defence witness after he told the police in 2008 that IM members were responsible for all the blasts that had occurred in India since 2005 including the July 11, 2006 train blasts.

2006 Mum train bombings: Lone acquitted man freed

2006 Mum train bombings: Lone acquitted man freed

Rediff.com12 Sep 2015

In its verdict, the court had held 12 other accused guilty of various charges. Arguments for the quantum of sentence are likely to begin on Monday.

J Dey murder: Charges framed against 10 accused, including journalist Jigna Vora

J Dey murder: Charges framed against 10 accused, including journalist Jigna Vora

Rediff.com8 Jun 2015

A special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court in Mumbai on Monday framed charges against 10 accused, including arrested scribe Jigna Vora, in the journalist J Dey murder case of 2011.

CBI questions Chhota Rajan in J Dey murder

CBI questions Chhota Rajan in J Dey murder

Rediff.com28 Jan 2016

The Central Bureau of Investigation has started questioning gangster Chhota Rajan in Tihar prison in connection with journalist Jyotirmoy Dey murder case.